Wednesday, February 13, 2019

"Research Like a Pro" this Friday.

What’s happening?  First, I’m trying not to forget:

Genies Meeting this Friday, February 15 at 1:00

It would be a sad situation if I forgot.  Thursday and Friday are forecast to be 40+ degrees.  If the Ferndale Library is open, I plan to be there.  Whenever the weather is bad, you can check the KGMI School and Business closings.  Under the Whatcom County Library System, they will list which libraries are closed.  You got it.  I plan to be there.

By now you know that January is always my time to tackle organizing.  I went through my stacks of papers and made a new folder system for active projects. Boy, did that feel good!  Then I cleaned up a list of 250+ genealogy things to do.  Many items were just things to remember so I put them in a safe place.

I thought about what I need to move myself toward being a better, more effective genealogist.  TaDa!  “Research Like a Pro” 14-day Mini Challenge.  I don’t usually post other people’s work, but I really want to get your attention.  Here's a good link for more info: https://familylocket.com/research-like-a-pro-part-1-whats-your-question/ 



This Friday I will tell you how my Mini Challenge turned out.  You will hear about my Objective which was to research my aunt Betty Hearn, my dad’s sister, and learn about her husband who was a distant cousin (or so I thought).  I didn’t know Aunt Betty but once when I met her, she told me she and her husband went to Kentucky to get married.  She whispered, “They’ll let anybody get married in Kentucky.”

I was familiar with the “Research Like a Pro” process from listening to their podcasts and I knew I would have many technical challenges on the way.  I would need to learn about Google Drives, Docs and Sheets, posting and commenting on Facebook, snipping newspaper articles, and use many new-to-me document collections.

Get ready for Friday.  Bring some “show and tell”.  Not the kind my grandson brings to kindergarten but share some tips or plans or questions. 

Bundle up and be safe! 
Judith

No comments:

Post a Comment