Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Genies Rock!


Tomorrow I will be at home pretending I am at RootsTech with all the entertainment, selected classes being live-streamed, and #NotAtRootsTech on social media.  For me right now this the perfect way to do RootsTech.  I feel so relaxed; no airplane, no hotel, no eating out, and no snow that might delay the trip home.  But before I start RootsTech, I thought I would send out a few ideas that we talked about at our last Genies meeting. 

We really rocked it.  It’s always better in person but here are a few highlights for people who couldn’t make it.  Margie C. and her family had a very fun and emotional reunion in California with their niece who was unknown and lost for 50 years.  Success was not due to genealogy but persistence.  A good reminder to stick with it.

Sylvia continues to use DNA matches and building other people’s trees to work on finding her birth father.  She shared her own forms and individual folders to keep organizing info about her matches.

David R. has been working on Italian research for the first time.  We think moving borders and social customs will play a part in his research.  He reminded us that there are lots of free sources for various records that may be subscription records at Ancestry.  One example is a collection of Norwegian birth records at the University of North Dakota.  You can always google to find those more obscure, but valuable, collections. 

David R. reminded us that “genealogy without sources is mythology”.  Many similar quotes have been researched by people more patient than I without finding anyone to attribute this quote to.  The point is well-taken.  Most of us are not giving credence to genealogy without sources cited. 

I also like a quote from Eric Stroschein who says “Researching without a question is like sailing a ship without a rudder.  You will wind up frustrated and going nowhere.”  He also cautions us to keep the questions narrow in scope and focused.  Narrow questions and citations were important in my mini-challenge. 

Some people at the meeting hadn’t heard of the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.  Have you ever used a link that didn’t go to the place intended?  Of course, you have.  Old links have a way of failing, don’t they?  This site has saved over 349 billion webpages over time.  Next time give it a try.  https://archive.org/web/
__________________________________________________

We discussed the Research Like a Pro seven-step research process that I have been mentioning here for the last few weeks.  Diana and Nicole at the Family Locket site have provided us with templates and work samples that can be found at https://familylocket.com/RLP/.  This page gives links to the templates which are stored on Google Drive.  They are created in Google sheets word processor and Google Sheets spreadsheets. 

The Research Project Document Template outlines the whole process and provides a place to store all writing related to your project. 

The Timeline Analysis Spreadsheet is helpful to organize the Known Facts before you get started with research.

The Locality Guide was new to me.  It’s a document to collect information about how to research in a certain local.  I’m thinking I will want a guide at the state level that applies to all counties in the state.  The state guide would be used with my county guide. 

The Citation Template is for learners like me.  It is a spreadsheet of 80-some citation samples for different record types.  I also stored the samples I wrote in the template. 

Lastly is a Research Log Sample and Template. 
In my mini-challenge I also found that I needed to stop writing on a pad and start using some of my worksheets. First, the online Timeline Analysis was invaluable for organizing events in date order and also adding citations for each fact.  Secondly, since I was working in three generations, I used a Family Group Record for each of the couples and their children.  I have Family Group Sheets I can share but it is common form you can google.  And lastly, I have two different Census worksheets that I can share. 

Since our meeting I found two Family Locket podcasts about the U.S. Federal Census.  In the show notes for Part 1 https://familylocket.com/rlp-25-u-s-federal-census-records-part-1/, they have links to a Cheat Sheet and Census Tables for Reports docx file.  This a Word document that you can easily add rows to.  I like that it is so flexible. You can add rows many children and even neighbors.  It’s so flexible compared to a paper form with limited lines.  They also have a recent podcast #30 called “Put it in a Table” about using a table to analyze information.  It reminds me that I can use a spreadsheet too and make it serve my purpose exactly.

Diana and Nicole offer many gifts to our community.  They have also written a book Research Like a Pro; a genealogist’s guide by Diana Elder.  It’s a book or e-book available on Amazon. 
___________________________________

I’ve jumped around a lot and that is the way our meetings are.  You can ask your questions and we will try to help you out.  Next meeting, back to 3rd Mondays, March 18.

Until then, Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment