Saturday, December 5, 2020

Family Tree Software Revisited

 Updated December 5, 2020

 A big dilemma for beginners and experienced alike is where to store our family trees.  The decision about which desktop and/or websites to use has been tormenting me for a few years.  (Note: In this article and others I refer to desktop family tree programs as “software” and the online trees as ”websites”.) 

 I’ll start with the bottom line right here at the top.  The three software programs that lead the pack are: Family Tree Maker, Legacy and RootsMagic, in random order and without prejudice.  They are comprehensive packages and all are used successfully by Ferndale Genies.

 A few years ago, I was “all in” with RootsMagic.  Now I am asked why I chose RootsMagic for myself. 

One consideration was which websites the software syncs with.  Sync is short for synchronize.  This feature allows you to automatically update one tree to keep it the same as another.  Ancestry has only allowed Family Tree Maker and RootsMagic to sync with them.  Any way syncing is done can cause problems for you.  The big three all have some direct connection with Family Search but I don’t know the differences.

2.      RootsMagic has hints for Ancestry, FamilySearch tree, MyHeritage, and FindMyPast (the big four family tree websites).  You can see the hint but you likely need a subscription to see the document.

3.      Many prominent long-time genealogists have been using RootsMagic for many years.  Lisa Louise Cook of Genealogy Gems, Scott Fisher of Extreme Genes, George and Drew of Genealogy Guys and Genealogy Squad, and Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings. I thought if it is good enough for them it’s good enough for me.  Randy has archived blogs about RootsMagic strategies but not a lot recently. 

4.      Two years ago, Family Tree Maker and Legacy were in transition with possibly shaky futures.  Ancestry said they were no longer going to support Family Tree Maker and had been trying to sell it for some time.  MacKiev bought it but didn’t have a track record with it.  Legacy had just been purchased by MyHeritage. MyHeritage had its own software Family Tree Builder and it didn’t make business sense to maintain and improve both.  This was a serious concern with Legacy at the time and I don’t know the company’s position now.

5.      I knew that when I settled on software, I wanted people to follow me so we could have a group learning together.  RootsMagic was in the $30 range and Family Tree Maker was around $80.  From the reviews I couldn’t find anything to tell me FTM was worth the price.  For others I wanted the reasonable price.

 

Time passes and situations change.  We and our genealogy needs change too.

 Expert advice is and was to try them all and find the one you like best.  That seemed very time consuming to me but at one time or another I did dip my toe into each of them.  Legacy and RootsMagic have free versions you can try.

RootMagic 7 is the current version and for a few years they have been working on a complete rewrite called RootsMagic 8.  Family Tree 2019 and Legacy 9 are current versions.

I suggest you google “best family tree software” but check the date and be sure they are reviewing the current version.

 If you are seriously thinking about changing software or strategy, I suggest two recent blogposts.  If these blow your mind, we absolutely need to discuss your situation at a Genies meeting.  And bring questions!

 Roberta Estes gave her strategy in this post:  https://dna-explained.com/2020/11/10/genealogy-tree-replacement-should-i-or-shouldnt-i/  Did you hear me gasp across the miles?  She uses RootsMagic for her main tree.  She completely rejects syncing with reason and updates four separate trees. She has a lot to say to you.

Randy Seaver writes here:  https://www.geneamusings.com/2020/11/how-i-use-genealogy-software-and-online.html.  Randy has trees everywhere and a reason for each one.  I needed scratch paper to keep track of all this.

Now the word is out that I am re-evaluating my family tree strategy.  I won’t be ready to report on that for a while.  I mean months.  I found a mentor and I am starting to evaluate options.  I will have to figure it out for myself.  I truly believe that each person will find their way and choose one or more software programs.

 

 

This blogpost is a permanent page at the Ferndale Genies Blog on the menu on the left side.

No comments:

Post a Comment