Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Conferences and Classes Coming


Thank you to everyone who came to the Genies meeting this week.  I had a really good time again.

I frequently see educational opportunities that I think you might like.  I like to tell you about free resources but today there will be a few pricey ones too.

Memorial Day is coming!  Thomas MacEntee alerts us to Free Military Records at MyHeritage.com from May 22 -28.  https://genealogybargains.com/free-access-to-military-historical-records-at-myheritage/

Thomas MacEntee also has all the details about what I call “the best value in genealogy education, bar none”.  It’s Family Tree Webinars.  There are weekly free webinars but today I will tell you that the annual subscription is half off until May 28.  $24.98 for access to over 900 webinars on every topic you can imagine with a couple of new webinars every week.  That’s for new subscribers only.  Details here.  https://mailchi.mp/hidefgen/lft-webinars-50percentoff-sale-may2019?e=cb7c45b1c4

At our meeting, Genie Barbara B. mentioned Whatcom Community Education class that combines writing and family history.  The title is “Writing Home”. It’s pricey at $179 for a 12-hour class over one weekend July 12-14.  Barbara and I will be going.  The details are here. https://register.whatcomcommunityed.com/CourseStatus.awp?&course=19H8324058GA

I also stumbled on a Whatcom Community College online course called Genealogy Basics.  It a 24-hour (not all in one day) instructor-led course.  The description is just what you would expect.  The tuition is $109 and session start dates are June 15, July 17, or August 14.  Check it out!  https://www.ed2go.com/whatcom/SearchResults.aspx and search for genealogy.  I can’t make a recommendation but it might be right up your alley.

It’s time to decide if you will be going to all or part of the Northwest Genealogical Conference, August 14-17.  Go straight to https://stillygen.org/cpage.php?pt=50.  Under “Northwest Genealogy Conference” you will find all the details.  Under “NWGC 2019” you will register.  Read everything carefully as you will need to decide about lunches, etc.  Three full days registration is $175 plus add-ons.  You will need to register for the Wednesday Free Beginning Genealogy separately.

Under “Beginning Genealogy” you will register for the free Beginning Genealogy session on Wednesday, August 14 from 1:00 until 4:30.  Every year the speaker is different and this year it is Thomas MacEntee.  I always learn from the national speakers.  I will be driving down and back that day and can take 3 people with me.  Let me know. 

I will close with a question.  Will the person who is researching the Schlicke family, by any spelling, email me at ferndalegenies@gmail.com?  Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment